The beginning of the Mission Sisters of Ajmer (MSA) Education System were laid first in 1913 in a school, in the city of Ajmer for the poor street children and orphans. It was known as St. Imeldas school. In 1919 the Rt. Rev. Henry Fortunatus Caumont our Founder, established the first Sophia School in Ajmer for the education of girls. He was the first Bishop of the Ajmer Diocese which covered then, practically the whole of Rajputana (the present Rajasthan). Hailing from the beautiful land of France, Rev. Fr. Fortunatus Caumont O.F.M. Cap. came to India as a young missionary priest in 1897. Being a man of vision and foresight he realized that the extreme backwardness and illiteracy of the people especially in the rural areas could be eliminated only if the women were given basic education. This was particularly the case of Rajput women.
While the men enjoyed the rights of a princely feudal system and the best of education in the ‘Princes’ College of Mayo at Ajmer, womans education was neglected.
Sr. Mother Mary
Bishop Caumont saw the prime need of uplifting the women. So he took up gigantic task in 1911, with the help of his sister Mother Mary Matilda, he founded an indigenous Congregation, the Mission Sisters of Ajmer to serve the needs of the people of Rajputana. To them, his Mission Sisters, he entrusted the task of educating the girls and in 1919, he started the first school for them in Ajmer, Rajasthan (Rajputana).
The name he gave the school and the motto he framed are both significant of the educational ideal he had in mind. ‘Sophia’ in Greek means WISDOM, and Wisdom is summed up in ‘VACHAN’ the Eternal Word, the source of true wisdom. We as educationalists are to give true wisdom to the children in our schools and colleges.
In 1930, Bishop Henry Fortunatus Caumont passed away. In him, Mother Mary Matilda lost a staunch supporter and adviser. Over the years, Mother Matilda saw the Sophia School in Ajmer take deep roots, turn into a High School. Through her dedicated worker, the Mission Sisters of Ajmer, she was able establish such schools in other parts of the county, mainly in the major cities of Rajasthan.
OUR FIRST STUDENT
Story of Nargace Dalal
The school in its progress has recalled to our memory a girl Nargace Dalal who one morning in July, 1935 was seen at the railway station, Jodhpur, crying and shedding tears because she did not want to leave home and go outside to Jodhpur to study.
A friend jokingly said, “If you don’t wish to go to Sophia we shall bring Sophia to you”. These words though unthinkingly said, were prophetic, the prophecy was fulfilled within two years and in 1937 as predicted, Sophia came to Jodhpur with four mission sisters of Ajmer.
The history of the school will further acquaint you with the remaining details.
FOUNDATION OF SPS
Mr. Billamchand Bhandari
Sir Donald Field
Sh. Umed Singh Ji
Maharaja Of Jodhpur
The foundation of Saint Patrick’s was laid on 3rd October 1936. The work went on at a speed that was astonishing at that time and the structure was ready for occupation in March, 1937. Within 4 ½ months the edifice was ready for use. This was due to the personal interest taken by the then ruler His Highness Maharaja Ummed Singh ji of Jodhpur, Sir Donald Field, the Chief Minister, Mr. Bilam Chand Bhandari, the then Finance Secretary and Mrs. Sterling a great social worker. Thus, the female education in Jodhpur was started.
At the very outset the School started with small classes running from First Primer to Fifth class. Year after year the classes were increased with a view of preparing the students for the Cambridge Examination. Intermediate classes were started in 1944 and continued till 1946. Three batches of girls were prepared and sent up for the Intermediate examination. The conditions laid down by the department for intermediate classes were beyond our means and we had to wind up the intermediate classes in 1946. In 1945-46 provisional recognition was granted for a High School and permanent recognition was granted in 1947. The growth and success of an institution depends on teachers of integrity and capability. Under their guidance our students have year after year won laurels for the Institution in academics, physical and cultural fields.
Education is one of the most powerful weapons of human progress and a nation can progress only in proportion to its advancement of education. The chief aim of education is development of three faculties; physical, mental and spiritual. True education must do justice to all the three. It is gratifying that St. Patrick’s has neglected none of these three aspects.
The blessings of Providence can be clearly seen in the steady progress of the school and we are very grateful to God for all that He has done and is doing.